PLACES OF INTEREST
ART COMPLEX- MADHAVAN NAYAR FOUNDATION, EDAPPALLY
Located at Edappally, 10 kms north of Ernakulam en route to Awaye, the complex consists of two units: the gallery of Paintings and Sculptures which presents over 200 orginal paintings by contemporary Indian artists. Some of unit, the center for Visual Arts is reserved for authentic reproductions of selected world masters from Leonardo da vinci to those of the present century. The centre also exhibits certain larger-than-life mural reproductions of ancient Indian Art. Open 10 am to 5 pm. Closed on Mondays and public holidays.
This long narrow palm-fringed island, easily accessible from the mainland, is where the Bolgatty Palace is situated amidst 15 acres of lush green lawns. Built by the Dutch in 1744, it become the seat of the British Resident later in 1876 . The palace was converted into a hotel under the Kerala Tourist Development Corporation. The palace has a golf course on its grounds. The hotel has also a boat , available on request- Tel: 355003.
CHINESE FISHING NETS, FORT KOCHI
These nets at the entrance of the harbour and along the backwaters with pivots of wood, were introduced by traders from the court of Kublai Khan.
DUTCH PALACE, MATTANCHERRY
The palace orginally built by the Portuguese and presented to the Cochin Raja Veera Kerala Varman in 1555 acquired its present name after 1663 when the Dutch carried out some extensive repairs. The Kochi Rajas held their coronation ceremonies in the Central hall of the quadrangular building. Rooms adjacent contain breathtaking 17th century murals depiciting scenes from the Puranas and the great epics – the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. Open 10 am to 5 pm Closed on Fridays.
HILL PALACE MUSEUM, THRIPUNITHURA
Set on top of a hillock, this prodigious palace-turned-museum displays 13 categories of exhibits, including paintings, carvings and other royal antiquities donated by the Kochi and Travancore royal families and the Paliam Devaswom. The Heritage Museum located on the rear side of the palace bulidings, familiarizes you with the traditional lifestyle of ancient Kerala. As part of the establishment, a mini zoo, a deer park with the spotted deer, sambar and peacocks is run by the society for conversion into a botanical garden with exotic tropical trees from Central America to Australia, located 11 kms east of Ernakulam, en route to Chottanikara. Open 9 am to 5 pm. Closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.
JEWISH SYNAGOGUE, MATTANCHERRY
Built in 1568 this is the oldest Synagogue in the Commonwealth. The great scrolls of the old testament copper plates on which the grants of privilege made by the Cochin rulers were recorded gold and silver crowns gifted by the various patrons to the Synagogue and exquist chinese hand painted willow patterned files are of interest open 10 am to 12 noon and 3 pm to 5 pm. Closed on saterdays and jewish holidays.
KALLI KOTA, THRIPUNITHURA
As the name suggest, his beautiful, imposing building a legacy of the Dutch rule served as an entertainment auditorium to the erstwhile royalty featuring dance,drama and plays. Today it functions largely as a marriage hall, situated near the Poornathreysa temple.
KERALA LELITHA KALA AKADEMIC GALLERY OF CONTEMPORARY ART, ERNAKULAM.
It is situated at the Durbar hall ground on D.H. Road. The hall had been the durbar of the raja of Kochi. Open 10 am to 5 pm.
LIGHT HOUSE, VYPIN
The light house at a ochanthuruth in Vypin is open from 3 pm to 5 pm on all days
MANGROVE FOREST, ERNAKULAM
This small protected area, a haven for birds is located on Dr. Salim Ali Road, adjacent to the high court of kerala. Winter migrants included species coming from Kashmir and even distant Siberia. Best time to visit: mid January to early march.
MUSEUM OF KERALA HISTORY, EDAPPALLY
Located along with the Art Complex at Edappally , it is a sound and light show presenting thirty five scenes from the political social and cultural history of KERALA., Commentaries in English and malayalam. Open 10 am to 4 pm. Closed on Mondays and public holidays. Tel: 558296
PALLIPURAM FORT, VYPIN
It is situated at the far end of Vypin island.Small and hexagonal, it was built in 1503, Claming to be the oldest European fort in India. The structure walls have around 20 cannon emplacement. Opens on Thursday
Backwater Village Tour (KTDC)
Daily fare Rs 315/ per head. Ride through narrow canals,fishing farms,exotic scenery and general life. Timings: 8.30 am, 2.30 pm reporting at KTDC office.
Aiswarya Marine Water Sports & Tourist Boat Operators, High court jetty jn, GCDA,BUNK No.22, Kochi 682031
Daily boat cruise cum sight seeing tour (Timings 9 am & 2 pm, Fare Rs 70/- per head)
Kochi SUNSET TOUR (KTDC)
Daily Timings 5.30 pm to 7 pm. Boarding Sealord Hotel Jetty